GRAB A PENCIL, crack open a cold one and test your beer knowledge.
1. Which one of these TV shows does not have its own official beer?
a. Game of Thrones.
b. The Walking Dead
c. The Simpsons
d. The GOP presidential debates
e. It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia
2. Which of the following is not an Anheuser-Busch brand?
a. Loser Pale Ale
b. Swill Beer
c. Toxic Sludge
e. None of the above
3. What is the beer that a Latin-owned Chicago brewery named as a tribute to Donald Trump after his anti-Mexican speech?
a. Ivana Drink
b. F@#! Your Hair
c. The Don Ale
d. Orange IPA
4. Which of the following ingredients has Dogfish Head used to make beer?
e. All of the above.
5. What do you call a person who collects beer bottles?
a. An arenophile.
b. A glaziologist.
c. A labeorphile.
d. An alembic
e. Your lazy roommate.
6. Which of the following is a recognized style of beer?
c. Low Country White Ale
e. All of the above.
7. Where does Rolling Rock come from, according to its label?
a. Pure Rocky Mountain Spring Water
b. Mountain Springs.
c. Glass-Lined Springs.
d. Little Green Bottles
e. Old Newark
8. What is the oldest brewery in North America?
b. D.G. Yuengling & Sons
e. Buffalo Trace
9. What is the name of the Philadelphia bar where the U.S. Marine Corps was formed?
a. The Few, The Proud & The Tankard
b. City Tavern
c. McGillin’s Old Ale House
d. Tun Tavern
10. What is the oldest beer brand brewed in America?
11. What beer was advertised on the scoreboard at Connie Mack Stadium?
a. Bud Light
e. None. Philadelphia blue laws banned beer advertising.
12. The four main ingredients of beer are:
a. Water, malt, hops, yeast.
b. Water, malt, rice, corn.
c. Sugar, yeast, water, barley
d. Water, wheat, hops, yeast.
e. Hops, hops, hops, hops
13. What beer set the record as the world’s strongest, in 2013?
a. Samuel Adams Utopias
b. Brewmeister Snake Venom
d. Dogfish Head World Wide Stout
e. BrewDog End of History
14. What Philadelphia-area brewery has won the most medals at the annual Great American Beer Festival?
a. Iron Hill
15. Which of the following is not brewed by Guinness?
a. Guinness Bitter
b. Guinness Blonde American Lager
c. Harp Lager
d. Guinness West Indies Porter
e. None of the above.
How many did you get right?
- A perfect 15, you’re a bigger beer geek than me;
- 10-14, you know your suds;
- 5-9, you’re a light beer drinker; fewer than 5, you’re a wine drinker.
Answers: 1-d, 2-e, 3-b (it’s known by its Spanish-language name, Chinga Tu Pelo.), 4-e, 5-c, 6-a (it’s a hoppy German wheat beer), 7-b, 8- c (founded in 1786, 43 years before Yuengling.), 9-d, 10- c (founded in England in 1777, now brewed in Baldwinsville, N.Y.), 11-d, 12-a, 13- b (67.5 percent alcohol.), 14-a, 15-e.