The 10 most ridiculous brewery rules issued today by the N.J. ABC.
- It is illegal to make or sell coffee at a brewery.*
- But soda is OK.
- Happy hours are prohibited.
- Quizzo cannot be promoted on social media without a permit.
- No sales of art or handmade craft work on the premises.
- No amplified music without a special one-day permit, approved by the local police chief.
- To-go beer sold during off-premises events (e.g. festivals) must be warm.
- No beer can be tapped at a brewery’s outdoor beer garden.
- And waitstaff can’t serve you outdoors, either.
- It’s OK to sell hard pretzels in a bag, but not soft pretzels.
*Rules apply to so-called limited breweries, the majority of breweries in New Jersey. They don’t apply to wineries.